Thursday, April 4, 2013

   
The Night Fairy
By Laura Amy Schlitz
Illustrated by Angela Barrett

Flory, a young night fairy, lost her wings and the ability to fly due to the fact that a bat mistook her for a moth. What happens to a fairy that no longer has wings and can fly? Well Flory discovers a world that is very big and very, very dangerous. She has to create a new identity (becoming a day fairy) and do whatever it takes to survive, even if that means telling others what to do.
Honestly I thought this was a terrible book. There really was no good message or moral to the story. Flory came off as really self-centered and mean throughout the whole book and gave the message that it is okay to be rude and negative towards others to make yourself benefit from it. Although she does create two friends and saves a creature in the book the only reason Flory does this is because it benefited her. It didn't make her feel good, except that she would get something in return, and really has no emotions towards anyone but herself. This is a book I would not recommend to read.

4 comments:

  1. From the cover, I thought this book would be very interesting, especially to little girls. But I guess that goes to show you to "never judge a book by its cover." It might be beneficial to kids to show that even if something bad happens, you can still carry on. You could also ask students to analyze Flory's attitude, and point them in the direction that being selfish is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would definitely have to be careful when reading this book to children. Children tend to model their behavior after characters they like and this book doesn't sound like it models god behavior. However, you could use that to your advantage and talk to the children about the misconceptions in the book and teach them that in reality it is not okay to act like that. I strongly dislike Tinkerbell for the same reason, she has the worst attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I choose to read your blog this week because I know that in your book talk you did not like the book at all and I was curious as to what you were going to say about this book on your blog. I am very glad you were honest with all of us and gave a reason for why you said you didn't like this book. I think all your reasons are valid for not liking this book. I agree that this does sound like a pretty awful book so if I was ever going to read it we would have a lot of discussions in my classroom about why this character should not be a role model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I choose to read your blog this week because I know that in your book talk you did not like the book at all and I was curious as to what you were going to say about this book on your blog. I am very glad you were honest with all of us and gave a reason for why you said you didn't like this book. I think all your reasons are valid for not liking this book. I agree that this does sound like a pretty awful book so if I was ever going to read it we would have a lot of discussions in my classroom about why this character should not be a role model!

    ReplyDelete